Wednesday, February 4, 2009

January releases-a waste of Money

In the month of January, there were many big budget releases, starting with the much awaited Akshay Kumar and Deepika Padukone starrer Chandni chowk to china. The movie was scheduled to be released last year along with Rab ne bana di jodi and Ghajini but as Akshay wanted his film as the best bet, he smartly delayed the release of the film to January to maximise film's profit by increasing collections all over India when there's no competition anywhere near, as there weren't any other big releases.
As the release date came nearer, Akshay left no stone unturned for the promotion of the film. But as always people have to leave there brains back home to enjoy a Kumar movie, this was'nt different either. The movie took a lot of criticism about the storyline and its authenticity.
The critics were particularly severe on the script writer as a result the movie suffered and only went average. As far as I was concerned, for me it was a fun and entertaining movie as I went with very low expectations after hearing all the criticisms. So I'll give this one 2 out of 5 for a pure entertainer.

Next in store was Raaz-The mystery continues...for all the horror movie freaks. This is said to be the sequel of the Bipasha Basu, Dino morea starrer superhit flick Raaz. As I am too a horror movie freak, I went with lots of expectations from this one with Emran Hashmi as one of my favourite superstars. But the movie turned out to be nothing more than a trash with no storyline whatsoever. Emran Hashmi gave another sizzling performance and the music too is good but the movie is plain boring in parts and so is Adhyayan Suman, I'll give this one a 2 out of 5 for a timepass. But you can actually buy a DVD of some Hollywood horror flick and watch it at home rather than spending Rs.150/- on this one, that would be more fun.

By the time this movie released in India, I already watched it 7 times in my Laptop. Yes, I just couldn't wait for Danny Boyle's Slumdog Millionaire. I read about it several times in the papers, magazines, internet and just everywhere, as it was all praises for this one and I was pretty excited and just couldn't help but watch it before the release. I went again after its release in India and trust me guys, its a must watch for everyone.
Watch it for the performance of the kids and I can assure you one thing, you won't be dissappointed. I'll give this one 5 out of 5 for a bomb of a movie that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Another release was Zoya Akhtar's Luck By Chance starring brother Farhan Akhtar, Konkana Sen and many more, the list seems endless as there are many special appearances by big bollywood stars. The movie is plain and simple with no twists and turns and if you love drama and performances this is a must watch. The film is refreshing and the presentation is good, but the only thing you'll find missing is entertainment and lack of good music can be one factor as it seems a bit slow for my liking.
But none the less a good movie and not a timepass. You can actually watch it when you are bored of action masala's and commercials. I'll give 3 out of 5 to Zoya Akhtar's first step in the Industry.
That's all folks, I am sorry about Victory as I couldn't find enough courage to watch Harman Baweja hit six sixes in an over.
As a whole the month of January is a big disappointment as majority of the releases were pure average. Next month promises a lot with Anurag Kashyap's Dev D, Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra's Delhi 6 and Priyadarshan's Billu Barber in line for release.